OK – keep it simple. So nothing groundbreaking here just a lovely warming mushroom soup. Should serve 4 with some crusty bread but more if having as a starter.
Which mushrooms you use is entirely up to you. I tend to use 100g each of Shiitake, Chestnut and Oyster. Turn up the flavour by adding some dried Porcini – don’t forget to add the water you used to rehydrate.
1 Onion – peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic – finely chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
300g Mushrooms – cleaned and finely chopped
1 litre of good Chicken or Veg stock
Double Cream (optional)
Salt and pepper
- Melt a big knob of butter in a large pan
- Throw in the chopped onion and garlic
- Sweat down slowly over a low heat stirring occasionally
- When the onion is nicely softened and translucent add the Thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes while stirring
- Add all the mushrooms and mix well.
- When the mushrooms have cooked down a little add the stock
- Allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes then blend with a hand blender
- Add some double cream and blend again.
- Season to taste.
How much cream you use depends on how much you like or how much you’re allowed!! The recipe works without it but a little splash at the end does add a little extra.