This soup is a lovely winter warmer and the cardamon pods give it a gentle perfume. Add more chilli for a little more kick!!
This recipe should easily serve 6 people as a lunch. More if served as a starter.
1 Kg Carrots – peeled and chopped
1 Large onion – chopped
Tsp Ground Cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
3 – 4 cardamon pods – gently crushed to open
Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1.5 litre good chicken stock
- Preheat oven, roasting dish and some olive oil to 220oC
- Peel and chop carrots into 2cm chunks
- Place carrots in the roasting dish and coat with hot oil. Sprinkle over the Cumin, Turmeric, Chilli powder and Cardomon pods
- Put carrots and spices in the oven to roast for 40 minutes– stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile put some olive oil in a large soup pan and heat over a low heat.
- Put the chopped onion in the pan and sweat gently until softened but not coloured – stir to prevent from sticking.
- After approx 20 minutes turn the heat up add the sugar and Worcestershire Sauce , stirring continuously
- After 2 minutes add the chicken stock, reduce the heat and allow to simmer very gently until the carrots are ready.
- Once carrots are cooked through – discard the cardamom pods and add carrots to stock, use some of the stock to deglaze the roasting dish.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then use a hand blender to create a lovely velvety soup.
You could serve with a little coriander but I would avoid cream.
Crusty loaf to hand and tuck in – lovely.